Wednesday, August 28, 2013

If you can't stand the heat...

Since I've returned to the one hundred degree heat of my home city in Southern California, I'm giving some thought to my next desert excursion, which I have scheduled on September 6th.  Food, plenty of water, and a friend in another vehicle, are certainly necessities.  But, there's nothing wrong with being comfortable while out on the trail.  That's why I use my vehicle's air conditioning when out on the trail.  Most modern vehicles are equipped with an auxiliary electric fan, or an electric main radiator fan that comes on when the air conditioning compressor is engaged.  Generally, this prevents overheating.  Naturally, the driver should glance at his or her temperature gauge frequently- a malfunctioning fan or other issue will cause the vehicle to overheat.

Reluctance to leave one's air-conditioned vehicle in order to explore an interesting site or take a photograph, can be a problem.  I call this "air-conditioner lethargy".

No comments:

Post a Comment