Thursday, October 16, 2014

Mojave Desert Ruins: The Alvord Mine, continued...

Corporate logo on the floor of the ruined building.
Shortly after exiting Harvard Road and turning toward the Alvord Mountains, the pavement ended and I engaged the front axle.  The trail was mostly level, with occasional patches of deep sand.  I won't give turn-by-turn directions here; but, at one point, we crossed a very wide dirt road that is used by the Army to move its tanks and other vehicles from the railroad depot to the Fort Irwin training base.  On previous trips, I have seen very large tracks here, that were left by the huge M1 Abrams tank.

Within a mile of the Alvord Mine, the trail begins to ascend the mountain and becomes pretty rocky.  Here, I engaged my four-wheel-drive low-range gears.

More to follow....




No comments:

Post a Comment