Saturday, June 29, 2024

Journey Into The Calico Mountains...

At the beginning of this month (June, 2024), here in Southern California, we seemed to be going through that "transitional  phase" between winter and summer.  Many people call this time "spring."  So, I wanted to spend a full day in the desert, before the summer heat limits my forays and exploration to the early mornings, or late afternoons.

So, here on this morning at the beginning of June, I set out to spend some time at the area in the Calico Mountains near Odessa Canyon. I say "near", because to proceed all the way into the canyon would involve negotiating a trail that would eat my Subaru Forester alive.

It was around 10 AM when I exited the 15 Freeway at Calico Rd.  Another 5 minutes took me to Mule Canyon Road.  About a mile up Mule Canyon Road, I turned left on to trail CM7600, which runs along the the base of the Calico Mountains.

The author's Subaru Forester on the trail.

A rather bumpy trail, with patches of deep sand, CM 7600 seems to connect with a confusing array of other trails, a few of which lead straight into the hills.  

About a quarter of a mile along CM7600, I decided to take one of these trails as far as I could comfortably go.

 

Above:  One of the trails leading into the hills.  I probably could have gone a little further, but it didn't look like there would be a spot for me to turn around, if necessary.   So, I decided to let my drone do some exploring for me.


A little aerial "tour" of the hills near my first stop.

I then drove a little further, and turned on to the "Doran Scenic Drive."  

Roger and Loris Mitchell, in their book ), Southern California SUV Trails Volume I, The Western Mojave Desert (one of an excellent series of books written by this couple), state that no one should enter Odessa Canyon if they are still making payments on their vehicle.

Entrance into Odessa Canyon is made via the Doran Scenic Drive.   The Mitchells state that this is one of the most difficult trails in the state, and that the circuit through the canyon cannot be driven with most four-wheel drive vehicles.  I assume that this means any vehicle that is not extensively modified.

Obviously, I wouldn't be testing the Mitchells' assertion with my Subaru.

Believe it, or not, the Doran Scenic Drive was once a paved road for tourists, during the 1930's.

I drove roughly a half a mile, and I decided to stop while the tail was "just" sandy and rocky.



  Above:  This is where I stopped.  As can be seen, the trail continues on, but I wanted to quit while I was ahead.

g
The video above, taken with the drone, shows how rough the trail eventually becomes.  I'm glad I didn't push my luck!



Above:  While I was walking around I discovered these natural tunnels.  I was tempted to drive my Forester through them, but I don't think AAA will pick up a vehicle that is wedged into a tiny tunnel.  So, I walked through behind my drone.


Above:  This video shows the Doran Scenic Drive's level of difficulty - which wasn't much - for my stock 2020 Subaru Forester- for the first mile or so, anyway.

During my visit,  I encountered only one other vehicle - which was apparently be used to follow a drone being flown by one of the vehicle's occupants.  

Despite my being fairly close to Calico Road, and to the tourists on the other side of the hills at the Calico ghost town, the only sound was the breeze whispering among the rocks.

















No comments:

Post a Comment