Monday, August 26, 2024

Checking Out The "Secret" Cajon Pass...

 The other morning I took a drive up to an area near Lytle Creek, that is known as "Sheep Canyon."  

Admittedly, my explorations of the Lytle Creek area, which is practically in my back yard, have been limited.  For some reason, this area is rarely on my radar.

But, on this day, I decided to check out an area closer to home.

Finding the trailhead is very easy- you just take Sierra Ave. in Fontana to Lytle Creek Road.  I continued a few miles on Lytle Creek Road.  A short distance past the Applewhite Campground, I turned right on to trail 2N56.


The photo above was taken at the beginning of the trail.  The trail climbs up into the mountains, and consists of a well-maintained gravelly-dirt road.  I had no trouble negotiating this trail in my stock Subaru Forester.  There were a couple of places where the gravel was loose, and the Forester's all-wheel-drive came in handy.  I'm not sure that I would drive this trail in a 2WD vehicle, especially one with low ground clearance.

I drove about two miles before reaching the summit.  There is plenty of room to park and enjoy the view.  The trail continues down into another canyon, but, being alone,  I didn't want to risk it.

Below, are two views from the summit:



Notice how green everything is, even during the summer!  I can't wait to see what it looks like after heavy rains!


I used my DJI Air 3 for an aerial "tour" of the area.



No comments:

Post a Comment