Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The El Paso Mountains: Why?


 Occasionally, I'm asked what sparked my interest in the El Paso Mountains.  My interest the El Paso Mountains is the result of my nearly life-long love of the Mojave Desert, and my reading of any books that I could find on the topic.  

During the late 1990's, a good friend gave a copy of Russ Leadabrand's  "A Guidebook to the Mojave Desert of California Including Death Valley, Joshua Tree National Monument, and the Antelope Valley" to me. 

Leadabrand was a writer/historian, who, aside from writing for several magazines, wrote a series of guidebooks covering California outdoor areas.  

My friend purchased "A Guidebook to the Mojave Desert..." at a used book store, and Leadbrand's folksy, and at times, haunting description of "vanished" mining settlements got me hooked.  After locating the area on an AAA map, I packed my Jeep Cherokee with water, provisions, and my camera equipment.  

That was the first of my many trips to the El Paso Mountains, and, to this day, I spend time there, regularly.  It seems as though I'm always coming across new areas to explore, and my drone provides me with new perspectives on areas that I've already been to.  

As for Leadabrand's books, I think that anyone with an interest s California history, should try to acquire his books.  Leadabrand's works cover outdoor recreation areas throughout the whole state, not just the desert.  

Since the majority of Leadabrand's books were published during the 1960's, you will not be able to rely on them for current road and trail information.  But, they provide fascinating background and historical information that will enhance the enjoyment of any visit to California's scenic areas.


No comments:

Post a Comment