Monday, August 27, 2012

Riding the Boom- Part V....

In no time at all, we rotated and lifted off.  Since this was a practice mission, I'm guessing that we weren't carrying enough fuel to actually re-fuel other aircraft.   This may partially explain the seemingly short take-off.

At any rate, the boom operator/loadmaster told me that our flight track would take us to 25,000 feet (above sea- level).  We would fly a pattern roughly two hundred miles off the California coast.

Indeed, once we were on station, it was time for us (meaning we passengers) to take turns lying on the mattresses which are placed on either side of the boom operator.  For his part, the boom operator lies on his stomach, and a padded cradle supports his head.  He flies (literally) the boom into position, via joysticks which move vanes (winglets, really) on the end of the boom itself.

Unfortunately, by the time my turn came, the two aircraft were already connected. My disappointment was short-lived, as only forty feet from the viewing window, the huge C-17 transport loomed.  So close was it, that I could see the faces of its pilots, as well as those of the passengers on its flight-deck.

When the two aircraft finally separated, it was with a noticeable bump.  Then, the C-17 seemed to drift slowly out of sight.


I shot this video with my Android phone- which I'm still learning how to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment