Saturday, September 1, 2012

In Search of Fire- A Short Trip In Search of Opal..

At eight o'clock in the morning on August 1, 2012, the sun was already beginning to bake Southern California's "Inland Empire".  I'd just arrived at my friend Ron's house.  During the ten-minute drive to his house, I marveled at how little I know about the geology of the desert I love so much.  Ron, on the other hand, is a "rock-hound".  He'd found what appeared to be a promising opal deposit, after reading a description of it that was posted by someone on Google Maps.  Ron had jotted the GPS coordinates down in a little notebook that he keeps for just such purposes, and our plan was simple.  I would enter the coordinates into my portable GPS unit, and once we were in the general vicinity of the trail, we would let Mr. Garmin lead the way.

Well, it was after we had been tooling North bound on Highway 247 in my Cherokee, that we discovered that we'd left the little notebook containing the GPS coordinates back at Ron's house.

We DID remember to bring the photograph of the opal deposit, that Ron had printed out.  My suggestion that Ron hold the photograph up to the Jeep's window until we came across a rock formation was met with a  laugh.  Even now, I don't think that Ron knows that I was half-serious.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment