Wednesday, September 5, 2012

In Search of Fire - Part Three..

Back in my Cherokee, Ron and I consulted the Google Maps satellite photograph again.  After much discussion, we picked out the dirt road that seemed most likely to take us to the Opal deposit, and I started the engine.

The road we we wanted was roughly twelve miles South of Barstow.  Engaging my four-wheel drive, I drove us along approximately  five miles of alternately sandy and rocky trail- which was mostly level.  Incredibly, the scenery did start to resemble that shown in the satellite images (fortunately, I still had cellular telephone coverage out there), and the rock formations began to look, well....familiar.  "That's it!" exclaimed Ron, as he pointed to our left.

I snapped my head around, and to my amazement, the rock formation looked exactly like the one in the photograph!

To be continued...




No comments:

Post a Comment