Wednesday, December 4, 2013

In Search of Kramer Arch....I failed again...

....to find Kramer Arch, during my little expedition over Thanksgiving weekend.

I exited the 15 Freeway at Calico Road, and then turned right on to Mule Canyon Rd.  I followed my map and I used the Back-Country Navigation application on my telephone, both of which indicated that I was right near the arch.  But, alas, it was nowhere to be found.

There were a lot of people on the trail that day, and I asked several of them where Kramer Arch was.  No one knew.

So, I found a relatively scenic spot, and I brought out my Parrot AR drone.  I'm still getting the hang of shooting aerial footage with this little aircraft.  But, more about that later.

My wife accompanied me on this trip.  Guys, if you want your women to enjoy exploring the desert with you, you have to make the trip as pleasant as possible-especially if the Mojave Desert is not one her favorite places.

First, keep a cooler with snacks and drinks within easy reach of the person riding in the passenger seat.  I learned this the hard way, when my wife saw that I'd put my drone (in its box) directly behind us.  She was incredulous, to say the least.

In the second place, you should take all of the safety precautions that I have outlined in previous posts.

Try to warn her when things are about to get bumpy.  And, of course, do not deliberately try to scare her.  It's much more "manly" to show that you are in control of your vehicle, and that you are skilled at negotiating rough trails with aplomb.  I suspect that many men try to show off to their wives or girlfriends and only succeed in terrifying them.

Coming:  the drone.

No comments:

Post a Comment