Friday, November 11, 2011

Four Wheeling Into History - Pt. IV...

After driving about one tenth of a mile past the Goler town site, we turned left on to the trail that is marked as EP 186.  I placed my Cherokee in to four wheel drive "low" range, because we were about to climb a long, winding, dirt grade, and "low" gives me more precise speed control, places less strain on the drive train, and allows me to to slow, which I prefer, with minmal braking.  In a stock vehicle, excessive speed when driving off-road is an enemy. The reasons should be obvious.  I have no desire to assuage this issue by modifying my vehicle, because I prefer to go slow and enjoy my surroundings.

Another five tenths of a mile brought us out on to a plateau that is strewn with igneous rocks- many of which are embedded in the trail. 



The author's Jeep, which is stopped along the trail: this photo was actually taken a few years ago, but little has changed since then.  Notice the large volcanic rocks on the right side of the trail. 



Looking to the east, you can see the Lava Mountains.  Note the large volcanic rocks that are strewn about.  Photo by Scott Schwartz.



No comments:

Post a Comment