Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mojave Desert Photography....Snow in the Coso Mountains....

www.elpasomountains.blogspot.com

During one of my winter trips into the Coso Mountains, there were patches of snow on the ground, as the reader can see in the image to the right.

Driving off-road is fun.  However, one has to leave one's vehicle at times, in order to really explore and in order to see sights that are hidden from sight.

Believe me, folks, I find it very hard to leave the relative comfort of my little SUV, and I fight this battle with myself every time I go on these excursions.  My companions and I found this little patch of white after we scrambled around the rocks for a little while.

I apologize if the following comes across as though I'm bragging, but notice the sharpness and the richness of the colors in this photograph.  Using a very small aperture and a slow shutter speed- in this case 1/30th of a second at f.22.  The slow shutter speed allows the medium (film or digital receptors) more time to gather light, resulting in greater color saturation.  The smaller aperture allows for greater depth of field (see my earlier posts on this topic).

1/30th of a second is the slowest shutter speed that I use without mounting the camera on a tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment