Sunday, August 12, 2012

Riding the Boom, Part III

Photo by Scott Schwartz


Upon my stepping into the aircraft, a fellow CAP member motioned for me to join him on the flight deck.  He had gotten permission from the flight crew for us to ride in the two jump seats during the take off.

Did I mention that the temperature was already in the ninety's on the flight line?  Contrary to what some might believe, the KC-135 is not simply a military 707.  It was designed and built as a cargo aircraft from the beginning, and as such, has very thin insulation.  Consequently, the air conditioning isn't very effective on the ground. This probably explains why one of the pilots was going through the pre-engine-start check list in his tea shirt.

Even with my government-issue earplugs in, I could hear the first engine start with an audible "wuff".  After all four engines were turning and burning, and with me still standing on the flight deck, the aircraft began to move.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment