Monday, August 6, 2012

Riding the Boom-SandNSky Flies Aboard A KC-135R...

As a member of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP), I, several other adult members and cadets, were given the opportunity to fly as passengers aboard a Boeing KC-135R and a Boeing C-17, respectively, while the pilots of the latter aircraft practiced engaging and disengaging from KC-135's refueling boom.  The Air Force refers to these flights (flights on which CAP members and certain other civilians are taken as passengers) as "incentive flights".  If the purpose was to encourage people to join the Air Force, they missed the boat with me, for at forty eight years of age, I doubt that I'd qualify for enlistment.

Nevertheless, I arrived at the March Air Reserve Base passenger terminal at 0800 Local time on Wed., August 1, 2012.  After providing my name to the Air Force personnel who were checking us in, I sat in one of the plastic seats which faced a large flat-screen television monitor, on which the Olympic games were being shown.  

Since I didn't know any of the other passengers (no one from my squadron had arrived at this point-and I wasn't sure if any of my squadron mates had signed up for this), I pulled out my phone and began to play a turn at "Words With Friends".  Just then, a gentleman from my squadron came through the doors, with a distinguished-looking elderly lady at his side.  My squadron mate introduced the lady to me as Alma Farnell, who is a former Women's Air Service Pilot ("WASP").  During World War Two, Ms. Farnell flew B-26 Marauders while towing practice targets.  

As I was making small talk with ms. Farnell, a Sergeant came into the room and announced that all those who were flying on the KC-135 were to step through the metal detector and enter another waiting area.

More to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment