Saturday, August 18, 2012

Riding the Boom-Part IV.....

Holding on to the bulkhead behind me, I was reminded of my rides on the New York City subway, that I took when I was a boy.  Only, there are no hand-hold straps in the KC-135's cockpit.

Almost as soon as that thought passed through my mind, the load master had me sit in the jump seat immediately behind the left-hand pilot's seat.  The left seat is the "pilot-in-command" seat in small airplanes.  I assume that that holds true in large, jet aircraft, as well.  Perhaps a reader who is more knowledgeable than I can comment further.  

Nevertheless, one of the things that I like about flying from March Air Reserve Base as a private pilot (I rent a Cessna 182 from the base's Aero Club) is the fact that there is very little traffic.  So, I'm not kept waiting very long for take-off clearance, generally.  Therefore, it came as no surprise when we taxied on to the runway immediately.  

From my little jump seat, I couldn't see much outside, but it seemed as though we were going to use runway 14, which is 13,300 feet long.  

Once we were in position for take-off, the pilot in the left seat jammed all four throttles forward.  There was a rumble as the four CFM International turbo-fan engines, each of which generates over 21,000 pounds of thrust, spooled up.  

I was pushed back into my seat, as the aircraft began to accelerate.  


To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment